fbpx
Psychotherapy From My Bedroom Office

Ben Herr – Alumni (’82) Lititz, PA

As the news became more ominous, I had a dawning realization that the spreading pandemic was going to have a major impact on my work as a psychologist at a large residential school.  In mid-March 2020 the school discontinued in-person learning and remained closed for the remainder of the academic year. I had to quickly pivot to Zoom for my psychotherapy sessions with middle schoolers and consultations with adults. I kept my card table and folding chair stored in my new bedroom-office for the next three months. 

Now in-person school is back in session, but many of the activities and social opportunities that 10-15-years-olds value (sports, social gatherings, lunch table groups, mixing in hallways, having visitors over for dinner) are not available.  As the virus continues as a kind of negative substrate I have found it challenging to keep both myself and my students encouraged.  And yet, with every challenge is opportunity; opportunity to be thankful for the many positives that remain, and to reach out with understanding and care, even enthusiasm, in the daily interactions that define my work. 

Like this article?

Share
Share
Email
Print